Monday, June 13, 2011

FROM REVERE BEACH TO KOKOMO!




I put a video of the Beach Boys singing Kokomo at the beginning of this posting. I suggest playing it in the background while you watch these young people enjoying their beach and maybe think back to your beach, when you were young and life was in front of you!


When we visited the Florida Keys last week we stopped and photographed a group of people board surfing. Phyllis and I photographed it without consulting with each other.  The only thing we knew was that we were photographing with two different focal lengths. Phyllis would be shooting with an eye toward the closeups while I would be looking more for wide angle images. Phyllis was looking to capture the action while I concentrated more on the relaxing atmosphere and beauty of this spot. We will post Phyllis' images on Wednesday.


If you are not familiar with the Beach Boys, they are called America's Band. They were formed in 1961. Their songs reflected a life style and youth culture of surfing, cars and romance. I remember when I first heard their songs, I instantly became a big fan. I was of that age, when that culture defined what the ultimate teenage life would be. Hanging out at the beach, in my case, would be Revere Beach in Massachusetts, pretty far from California but it had the ocean. My buddies and our girls were sitting on the wall overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, no surfing but still a great time in our lives. Born from an innocent freedom that I'm guessing most of us yearned for as we got older. Seemingly our only worries being if the girls we were sure we loved would go out with us. 


Many had problems at home but we didn't speak of them, especially not at the beach, with our buddies, on the wall looking out at the Atlantic Ocean. We just enjoyed the sun, girls and the Beach Boys on the radio of a passing car; getting a coke and a slice at Bianchi's or clams at Kelly's planning who we could get to buy us a six pack of Bud or for some of us Heineken beers, later that night!  Hanging out with our buddies on Broadway at night. A bunch  of us squeezing into a car to see movies ( yes plural) at the Revere Drive In, listening to the radio as we drove down Revere Street, who was better then us!!!  But it was the summer , the beach and our friends that stands out. Yes, life was good for those fleeting moments on the wall at Revere Beach. They formed memories that I still cherish. I truly hope Lou, Bill, Roger, Denise, MaryAnn, Arlene and Linda all remember and cherish them. too.


As I photographed this generation of young people on their beach, I wondered what beaches they would have 40 years from now. Would there be beaches to enjoy? Would they find their beach, their happy, ultimate adult life? I hope so. If they do, I hope they realize it and take the time to enjoy it. It can be more fleeting as you get older.  I have been one of the lucky ones. I have found my beach, my girl, my wall and my happiness. I try to remember to enjoy it everyday, down here in Florida, close to Kokomo.











   Some just come to watch and maybe dream a little!!!





   
When these two were young was this their beach, if so what memories have they? Are they happy or wishing for another chance to surf the ocean? I hope they're happy. I wish them peace, happiness and love!












No matter what age you are, find your beach and be happy. Enjoy your life! It can be like a great bottle of wine; rich with flavor, containing beautiful shades of red, blacks, whites, yellows and it can provide great memories. But once the bottle is empty, it is just a glass container. Enjoy it while it is still full!!!

25 comments:

Ann said...

memories! I remember that stretch of beach from Revere & Nahant to Salisbury & Hampton--those were the days! When at AHS we spent most beach time at Hampton. Beautiful photos as always!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos! Never been to Florida, but maybe one day.

Alpana Jaiswal said...

Seems like another world altogether..what beautiful pictures..Jim,I can lose myself in them...Will surely visit someday.

Roy Durham said...

its funny but you mentioned coke and the beach,hanging out with the guys and gals. i remember the coke with peanuts in it. i wished i could have one like that but can't have the peanuts anymore. but still love the beaches. i don't know witch one i like the best, yes i do . it the one that i am at with my gal. thank you and god bless

Ravenmyth said...

I love the metaphor of he wine...it does fit the stories intertwined with the photography...

I have been to Florida and he Keys..the photo's bring back those memories and without a doubt the colour.

I love your rendition of being at the beach in your younger years from a boy's point of view...I look forward to hearing your take of the girl's point of view with the photo's Phyliss took...

Does conjur up great memories...loved my beach days and still do...I escape to Kauai...only 6 hours from Vancouver...

Dangerous Linda said...

I guess we have a lot in common in addition to photography -- I was born in Boston, although I'm transplanted to MN, and the first concert I ever went to was the Beach Boys (even though it was 1979 and they were pretty much past their prime -- haha!)

I loved looking at your images with The Beach Boys playing in the background. Feeling kind of misty and nostalgic now. Thanks for a mini-vacation ;-)

Melissa Tandoc said...

I like the summer's heat under my skin...especially in a beach... Well, it isn't exactly that in Tolmeita, with those solid rock formations not even sand to play with...but the breeze of fresh air... the calm it brings in one's busy mind...The only guys we had then were our priest friends (so not so much "fun" :P)...The recent beach days were more kind of like it with my nieces around... in Sentosa with the photoshoots my sister and I had...

I entered your world at Revere Beach and really wished I'd be there. My mind relaxed as I lost myself in the photos. Bellissime!!!I liked the photos from beginning to end...as for Cocomo, it's enticing (hey, I was born after the Beach Boys fame :P)...

I don't have much images I could look into ...but the memories are formed in my mind and I could go back there again and again... and again :P...I'll look at these photos from the office to get larger frames ;)

THANKS for sharing...

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

The Beach Boys, the beach, innocent flirting! Now you're talking of back in the day when I was young. On the West Coast the girls were beach bunnies and the guys were surfer dudes - made for great memories. Love the photos. They are gorgeous!!!

JIM said...

Wow thank you all so much.. It seems I brought back memories to many of you and that is what I had hoped to do. Again Thank You all You made my day!!!

Your Friend
Jim

Nelieta said...

Jim you have no idea how much I miss the beach. I enjoy sitting on a rock and listening to the sound of the waves. The sound of the ocean is amazing. I have some wonderful memories of going to the beach. Thank you for sharing!

Rimly said...

I loved the Beach Boys and used to listen to them so often as a kid. These pictures of your brought back to memory their song Surfin' USA. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a dip in that water right now...

Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

Jim, your photos are simply spectacular! Showing so many different angles of the beach and ongoing activities.
I am not much of a 'beach' babe, but rather a 'snow' baby :)I do enjoy early mornings and late evenings when I am at the beach. Of course, my husband and children love it there! Thanks for sharing your photos, they are priceless!

alejandro guzman said...

Ahh the beach!!! A place I love and where I am at peace...

Great images as always

Cheers A

Vaisakhi said...

refreshin photos....its so much fun be be at beaches...:)

Kaye said...

I always have a soft spot on natures...especially the one with waters...ocean, river, waterfalls, etc., as always, you captured the scenery so well,... clearly beautiful :)... you could draw more tourist on that place... don't bring this out unless you get the beach's Ads contract :D... God bless you more with your talents as you feed our eyes with this wonderful photos.

Sorcerer said...

Beautiful photos..

The clouds in the distance..wow!!the tint of the sea water...
breathtaking..

The writeup was a nice read!
I wish you could put some technicals about the image and the camera, lens etc so n00bs like me can learn a bit more about the photography.

Finding One's Way said...

JB,
wonderful post.... Love the images of the beach... That is the one and only thing I love love about South Florida...
When I am by the water I am at my best..

xoxo
Jess

sulekkha said...

The heat in Delhi is killing and I would love to be in the heavenly water right now, loved your beach and enjoyed reading about your memories.And as usual the pics are wonderful, looking forward to Phyllis's take of the same.

geets said...

lovely photographs :)

Kriti said...

Awww I am craving a beach now and am no where near one. For me, Jim, would mean a vacation somewhere and because of that I am so jealous of you ... Anyway I think I should be on my way to Goa in July. We'll see : )

Unknown said...

Brilliant photos with such clarity! Great post. Keep 'em coming :)

sHoNa said...

lovely photos ,simply spectacular!!!!

Simran said...

Wonderful..loved it! :)

Arlene said...

Jim and Phyllis,
Your breathtaking photographs of the beach come from not only your hearts, but your souls. I am so touched and pleased that you have found your beach, that you have shared this with us, that you create such beauty every day. I have found my beach and my guy. I wish you all your days are beach days and as much happiness that your hearts can hold.
Arlene