Friday, September 30, 2011

PHOTOGRAPHING FACES AND PLACES IN KEY WEST

As you can tell from my blog this week, I really like the Florida Keys and especially Key West. There are interesting places to see and faces filled with interest and fun! As a photographer I am always looking at people. I find it fascinating to see people's expressions and demeanor. When I see a group of people together in one spot, I love to see how different everyone looks, I mean both physically and in their expressions. I am always trying to take candids and sometimes it's easier in a crowd. It's almost like hiding in plain sight!


There were some interesting places around Mallory Square and Duval Street and we tried to capture some of them! Many of the people were looking out at the setting sun!!








As we walked on the boardwalk in Mallory Square we saw this building and the sun was creating a great light on it. As we walked over towards it, I saw something behind some trees that looked interesting!



We saw it was a sculpture and a different type then we were used to seeing!




As I was photographing it I saw this artist working on a painting of the statue.



I thought this was really creative! This sculpture was part of the first one. It was a sculpture of a man painting people dancing and included the picture of the sculpture.


These sculptures, by J. Seward Johnson, are located in the back of the Key West Museum of Art and History. There are some really fun sculptures here and a place to visit if you're down there.

  
We went back to the boardwalk where many people were enjoying the ambiance, the entertainers and the setting sun.






                      As always there were many people with cameras.










As the sun set couples were sitting or standing together watching a beautiful sunset.







One of the strangest sights we saw were chickens running free in the streets of Key West. We first saw them in front of a breakfast spot and later that night in Mallory Square. We found out that they have been there for over 175 years but really grew in numbers during the 1950s. Thousands of Cubans fled the revolution and came to Key West and brought their chickens with them. 


Over time these chickens escaped or were let go by their owners when eggs and poultry were easily available in supermarkets. There are not many predators (hawks and feral cats) and the chickens thrive on a diet of native insects and lizards. Several generations later the chickens still roam free throughout the island.


  
If you're in Key West and looking for a local bar that serves pretty good food and over 100 different rums, this is the place. It's called the Rum Barrel.




Key West has its own unique character and it can be seen on almost every street.





  This was the last image we saw before going into our hotel.



This was the sunrise we saw the next morning as we left for home. We really enjoyed our visit and will be coming back soon!!
If you plan a vacation in Florida, I would suggest staying a few days in the Keys and especially Key West!




24 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me has to be the last images... However you have captured the flavors of that place....

http://sparklemezen.wordpress.com/smz-this-moment/smz-this-moment-2/#comment-453

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Breathtaking photos once again! Thanks for sharing with us, Jim!
Blessings!

Unknown said...

delightful!
-PORTIA

sHoNa said...

Nice pics

Roy Durham said...

it is an interesting and curios thought, with all the photos being taken, what each person sees and take a photo of. i see many taking photos in different directions i wonder just what they see. what caught they attention, what their thoughts were? great photos Jim love them all. the one of the man with the red beard look like a story book, i wonder what is it all about. bet it a good read. thank you for this great post god bless

Unknown said...

Awesome ... I love the last one of the old truck all decked out... Chickens ... don't you see them running freely in Port Saint Lucie?

Just drive a little south toward, Salerno they are all over the place

JIM said...

HI Roy good observation there was a lot going on. Some were looking at the setting sun and the boats out in the ocean, Others were watching the entertainers while still others were watching the attractive young women and men walking around lol and don't forget the chickens !!!
Thanks Roy

JIM said...

Really Deb ?? Nope never see them here unless their on a plate with fries !!!

Roy Durham said...

i don't forget the chickens, they can be a big problem, they say they are the descendants of t-Rex ha ha they will eat anything so watch for them.

photos by jan said...

Stunning as always Jim. For me I love the shot of the moon. I am a moonchild. I also enjoyed the one of the fella in the hat and beard, full of character and stories. Then of course the truck and it's home. Your photos are all beautiful. Sunrise to sunset.

Corinne Rodrigues said...

We're all doing our 'moments'today and then I come by here and see the stunning photographs and realize that you and Phyllis' days are filled with so many moments...thanks for filling our world with the beauty of all you see, Jim.

Papercut Doll said...

Every post of yours is like a special journey, your images are so vivid and the commentary is just like you are speaking it. You can really imagine being there and being part of it.

I'm wondering how you get the moon shot though - It has eluded me so maybe one day I'll get to find out :)

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

What a wonderful and beautiful place to shoot photos. I love all the "people shots". The weather is to die for - wish I was there!! :D

Ann said...

Beautiful photos, Jim--I've been to FL several times but never Key West--now added to my list of places to visit!

Ravenmyth said...

Loved my stay in Key West..because that is where you took me Jim on this post..it just felt like I was in those crowds, watching sunsets, shopping, looking at art, and watching the sun come up again...as each one contributed to the days walk in Key West...they all stood out...the sunrise was spectacular....Alays...

Anonymous said...

Is the Cat Man still at Mallory Square, Jim? I remember watching him when I was there.
--
Chris

Tameka said...

The sun and the moon are so beguiling. The people were cool too! I loved the shot of the young woman with the shades and black/white print shirt. Very nice. Nice to experience your journeys Jim. Always!

http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2011/09/lyric-fire-passionate-betrayal-friday-flashback-tamstarzs-diary.html

sulekkha said...

Lovely moments and candid pictures :) They all are absolutely amazing.

lakwatsera de primera said...

I love the glow on the skin of the couple in the 4th picture, light before sunset really brings out the best in people's portraits.

Manisha Bhatia said...

Jimmy thanks for taking us through Florida...d fun part s dat everyone in pics s capturing images. Jim d last pics f sunrise d colors jst amazin..wish i too visit someday!

Love
Mani

Melissa Tandoc said...

I remember that the very first shots I've seen of peoples' expressions in your page were those of Phyllis...I think it was in a baseball game and how I loved those shots. It always fascinates me that you keep me hooked in your posts with new facets of your creativity. It's like eating new dish all the time.

Key West seems to be a very interesting place. I liked how you captured the artist with his painting and the sculpture (esp. the magnified one)...

I really like facial expressions. You are so skilled in taking candids. I wish I have half of your guts :P

I liked every image for their clarity and details *like that car :)...I like the sunset :) It's like you've drawn your story to a perfect close...

Rated with a million stars :P... loved it!

p.s.
It was like fasting for four days without your post :P...and reaching your blog, I had my full...YEY! Thanks ;)

Simran said...

A very delightful post as always :)
I like your blog so much and even I read your posts but sometime I miss to comment here ..But I promise now I'll not do so :) As Now I finally got free..
Liked Sunset photos and Florida :)

Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful posts .. keep sharing
Take care

Nelieta said...

What an interesting place! Your photos made me smile especially the one where everybody were taking photos of the sunset! All you see is cameras and tripods! Lovely :)

Great post Jim!

Alpana Jaiswal said...

I love them all Jim...u make me wish for a lot of things...and I hope to see them all some day....Great pictures Jim.