Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SITE OF THE WEEK....NEIL VAN NIEKERK'S PLANET NEIL

It's time to add to our recommended site of the week list. These blogs are listed on the Blog Honor Roll section of my blog and will stay there permanently. The reason I choose, http://neilvn.com/tangents/  is that I have had many people email me with questions about how to learn photography, how to get better at it. In this economy, if I can give them a resource that I feel is excellent, then that in itself is great but if that resource is free then it is tremendous. Neil is an exceptional photographer who specializes in wedding, portraiture and boudoir images. He also teaches workshops and seminars on photography, has written and published two books on photography and maintains a very active website for photographers.
He was originally from South Africa where he worked as a TV broadcast engineer. In 2000, he and his wife decided to settle in the USA with their daughter. Here he has pursued photography as a full time career. He is a master at using flash, both on-camera and off-camera for digital photography.
I own his first book titled appropriately," ON CAMERA FLASH".  It's on sale at Amazon.com. I have read parts over and over again. Neil is a master photographer and instructor. You can learn so much from his books and by reading his web site. Neil presents a collection of photographic examples in both his books and on his web sites that show you how to mold light, add light when needed and modify all by using strobes.

I know some people have reasons/excuses why they do not use strobes. I keep hearing it's because they like natural light, which is fine until there isn't any or the quality of the light isn't great. Then you need to do what is needed to get the shot!!! This is especially true if you're getting paid or you would just like family members that view your images not to have to lie when they tell you how great they are.

I read his blog/site every week and learn something new all the time. Not only do I learn a technique but how to put it to use in my photography. At http://neilvn.com/tangents/, you will learn, learn and learn and will enjoy doing it. Is it magic? Does he teach you a magic word or tell you about a magic wand that will make you as great as he is?

It's not as easy as him throwing information out for you to catch and then overnight, you're a star. (Okay that might be stretching it but I wanted to use a photograph: heck it's a photographic blog). No, you still have to take what you learn and practice and practice it again. He's not promising you a quick fix approach but is offering you a learning experience. He didn't learn all this overnight and neither will you. You will learn both theory and execution from one of the truly superior photographers working today.
I cannot recommend a photographic learning resource either in print or on the internet more than I can with Neil's work. Read him and learn about the most important part of photography: the light. (Photography actually means painting with light). Here you will learn how to paint from the best.

NEIL ( taken from his web page)
Neil

4 comments:

baldychaz said...

Thinking about having a go at photography myself. Gonna start by just taking a very cheap camera with me wherever i go. Who knows if i get the taste for it may well start hassleing you for help;)

Nava K said...

great article on photography and thanks for your comments on my blog. Joined your site via google.

Melissa Tandoc said...

in the philippine photo scene, i could think of manny librodo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIezAsLLxM

although, of course, we both like portraiture...

your art instead encompasses everything...

i'm not much into photography right now, although, my younger sister is training me to be one...

mentors will be there but in the end, one has to develop his/her own style...

you have found yours :)

jindi said...

Nice post thanks for sharing with us. if u want more info about photographers site then contact us .....